A Labour of Love Still Deserve Thanks!


An Address To Those Who Have The Care of Children (Part 5)

Published Tract Association of Friends of Philadelphia, 1832 (but cannot be quite sure that it is not 1882)

With these, an easy, natural, modest behaviuor is more agreeable, then what is called a pretty manner; for nothing affected can please. Play with them; forget the teacher, and be their companion: at the school hours, your instructions will enough remind them that you are their master, and that is sufficient. Tire them not with reading: make them sometimes leave off when they have an inclination to proceed. Reflect how great will be your reward for the exact discharge of your duties. As you educate these children, they will educate theirs, and so on till time shall be no more: and if you this turn many to righteousness, you will shine as the stars forever, for so doing; and when the great Shepherd shall appear, you, with other shepherds, will receive a bright crown , which fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for your labour of love: therefore serve as to the Lord, and not to men: think not of your pensions and perquisites, so much, as that the most important, the most honourable of all employments, is committed to your care, the forming the minds of the next generation, to avoid (as far as in your lies) all the faults of this, by endeavouring that those under your care may become blessings to the world, in every station of life; and bright angles to all eternity. 

My reflection:
Seeing that this is the week of Thanksgiving, I’d like to take this opportunity to give thanks to my teachers. Because my teachers at the Friends School permitted themselves to be my companions, I still (17+ years later) consider them dear friends, many of who I’m in regular contact. But more importantly I am the person I am today because of their teachings – they introduced me to knowledge, they fostered the transformation of knowledge to understanding, and then understanding to action. Now that I am a teacher I better understand the labor of love (and labor it is!!) and I try to emulate what I learned from my teachers – to introduce new concepts here and there, but more importantly to pull out the strengths of each child, and offer them opportunities to realize their potential, their passions, and their gifts. I seek to prepare each student with the tools necessary to bring their gifts to life in the world. I think for me, I left the Friends School knowing that my purpose was to use my gifts in service to the world. And I am so very thankful for my teachers for giving me the toolbox necessary for getting the job done.

Comments